First things first.
To be eligible for the NDIS a participant must:
• have a permanent and significant disability or a developmental delay.
• be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or a Protected Special Category visa.
• be under 65 years of age.
• need support from a person or equipment to do everyday activities.
If you think you qualify to become a participant, you can then:
• call the NDIS on 1800 800 110 and ask to make an Access request.
• complete and submit the Access Request Form and send by email to NAT@ndis.gov.au
How to make an Access request:
You simply call 1800 800 110 to make an Access request or you can complete and submit the Access request form via email on the NDIS website. If you need help filling in the form or making the call, you can contact your Local Area Coordinator, Early Childhood Early Intervention partner or your contact your local NDIA office.
What to expect on the Access Request form?
1. Generally, the Access request process will involve questions for you to answer such as:
• Confirmation about your identity and/or a person’s authority to act on your behalf.
• Questions to see if you meet the NDIS access requirements (age, residence and disability).
• Questions about providing consent to enter the NDIS and about seeking information from third parties.
• THE NDIA will need information about current disability supports you may be getting, and whether your provider has your consent to give the NDIA your information.
2. You may also be asked to provide additional information after you submit your Access request. This may include information about your disability and how it impacts on your day-to-day life. You can provide copies of existing information about your disabilities, or you can ask your treating health professional to attend to this for you.
Providing information about your disability:
If you make your Access request over the phone, you can provide copies of your existing information, including letter or reports to NDIA through the following avenues:
Post to: GPO Box 700, Canberra ACT 2601, or
drop it in to your nearest NDIS office.
You can also complete and submit the Supporting Evidence form via email to NAT@ndis.gov.au.
Other Important information:
• If you need help with English, call our TIS service on 131 450.
• If you have hearing or speech loss, call our TTY service on 1800 555 677. For Speak and
• Listen, call 1800 555 727, or for Internet relay services, visit the Relay Service webpage
For information about what evidence to include in your Access Request, it may be helpful to visit the following pages: